Perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal, or your Mexican Taco Tuesday night, this Fried Mince & Rice is served with a South African favourite- Mrs Balls Chutney!
Ready in under an Hour
This Fried Mince & Rice dish is quick and easy. It uses beef mince, Basmati rice, green pepper, mushroom and chicken soup powder, olive oil, garlic, black pepper, and water. The steps for this recipe are quite simple, and you only need to use one pot which means less washing up! The Basmati rice is fried, which gives the dish an indulgent factor, and the beef mince is cooked separately. The soup mix is added into the pan along with the rest of the ingredients. It is then left to simmer until the soup has been soaked up by the rice.
Eat as is or Spruce it up!
This dish can be made as a lazy weeknight meal for you or the family as it is a simple and quick one. You can, however, spruce it up a bit. Add some more vegetables into your dish, such as potatoes, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, or cauliflower. This will add more substance to the dish. You can also use this recipe for a Mexican inspired night! Serve it with some salsa and sour cream in tacos and you are golden!
Chefs Tip for Fried Mince & Rice
You may add salt and pepper if you wish, I found that the soup mix had enough flavouring. And don’t forget the Mrs Balls Chutney on the side!
This Fried Mince & Rice with Mrs Balls Chutney is quick, easy, and versatile- all the things we love in a dish!
- 500 g Minced beef lean
- 1 cup raw Basmati Rice
- 1 large Green Pepper pitted and chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic crushed
- 1 packet mushroom and chicken soup
- 250 ml water
- 50 ml Olive OilBlack Pepper
- Use a large frying pan with a lid to cover later. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium to low heat. Add the raw rice and stir continuously until you can hear the rice making a popping sound. Be careful not to burn the rice or let the oil get to hot.
- When all of the rice has swollen or is fried until light golden brown, remove, place in bowl and set aside.
- Add the raw mince to the frying pan and fry the mince until light golden brown. Remove from the heat.
- Add the contents of the packet of soup to the 250 ml water and stir well.
- Place the frying pan back onto the medium-low heat and add the rice, chopped pepper and garlic, mix thoroughly.
- Pour the soup mixture into the mince and rice in frying pan. Make sure all the ingredients are covered by the soup mix, if not, add more water until it is completely covered.
- Place the lid on and reduce the heat to a very low temperature (Low) and let it simmer until all the soup has been soaked up by the rice.
- Serve with black pepper, Mrs Balls Chutney and a salad of your choice.