Mexican dishes are full of unique flavours and spices that make the cuisine a truly special one. This Mexican salad fits right in with its authentic flavours and textures. It will be the perfect side to many other Mexican-inspired dishes.
In Mexican cuisine, tacos are usually the star of the show. Tacos are hard or soft shell tortillas that are filled with chicken, fish, or mince, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and onion, and topped with guacamole and sour cream. If you are planning on having a Taco Tuesday or Mexican themed night, this salad will be perfect as a side for some fajitas, enchiladas, quesadillas.
An Authentic and Versatile Salad
This Mexican salad is full of traditional Mexican ingredients such as crushed (or whole) tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, crisp lettuce, chopped onion, sliced black olives and sliced tomatoes. While this salad is great as a side or even on its own, it can also be used to fill tacos. Mix the salad with a protein of your choice such as beef or turkey mince, pulled chicken, or fish, and create delicious traditional tacos. You can also make a vegetarian option by replacing the meat with black beans and corn. Leave out the cheese or use dairy-free cheese to make them vegan!
Dive right into the fiesta of flavours of Mexican cuisine with this delectable Mexican salad. It might soon become a firm favourite in your household!
For the Salad
- 1 large head crisp lettuce
- ½ cup matured cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup black olives sliced
- 4 large tomatoes sliced
- 1 cup tortilla chips crushed
- 1 cup canned corn
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tbsp lemon juice mashed
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp garlic crushed
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- Break lettuces into bite pieces.
- Combine lettuce, cheese, onions, olives and tomatoes in a salad bowl.
- Add avocado lemon juice, sour cream, oil, sugar and garlic and chilli powder in blender.
- Toss salad with dressing and add crushed tortilla chips.