We all have days that you just need something fast and easy to make. And popping this quickly assembled corn and maize meal dish in the microwave is about as easy as it gets. Plus you will still be getting a warm homemade meal out of it, so no need to subject yourself to takeaways.
Really Quick and Simple to Make
You are literally looking at about 5 minutes of actual work with 20 minutes of microwave time. All you have to do is beat your eggs and milk together well. Then mix in your maize meal, creamed sweetcorn, butter, olive oil and salt before popping it into the microwave. Now you are just the push of a button away from having done your part. The only thing left to do is allow your body to rest for the 20 minutes of cooking time, before giving a final stir to your now cooked maize meal and corn microwave dish, and then allowing it to rest for 10 minutes.
Comfort Food of Note
Not only is it comforting to not have to cook, but the sweet warm flavours and textures that come with this simple dish are also a great comfort to sit back and indulge in. Perfect for when you just need to melt into the couch and nibble away at some soothing nutrition. Plus your body will feel much better after a serving of this pap and corn dish than if you were to give in to any takeaway food craving.
Tried this one and looking for another “cheat” meal? Try our simple Beef Cottage Pie, you can even make in advance and freeze for a rainy day.
- 2 cups maize meal or 'braaipap'
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 can creamed sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- Beat the eggs and milk well.
- Add the maize meal, creamed sweetcorn, butter, olive oil, and salt, cover.
- Place dish in microwave oven for 20 minutes on full power depending on the type of microwave you have, after every few minutes, remove from the microwave, stir the mixture, place the lid back on and continue with the cooking.
- Remove from the microwave when done, stir well, cover and let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving.