There is nothing more comforting than a warm home-cooked meal, like cottage pie. Bake it as a meal for the whole family or just yourself. It freezes well so can make a batch in advance to be quickly heated up later. Or you could even prepare single freezable portions from the start. Great to have as a backup for when you just don’t feel like cooking but could really use a little bit of warm cottage pie.
Easy to Make
In just over half an hour you can have your cottage pie deliciousness ready to freeze. It’s as simple as chopping all your little extra ingredients like your onion, garlic and any fresh herbs you may be using. Browning your onions and meat in a frying pan. Followed by adding all the other delicious flavour enhancers like chutney, Worcestershire sauce and spices. Then, once cooked for a short 5 minutes, layer your meaty filling into the bottom of a large dish or into your individual bowls. After that, all that is left is spreading your already cooked and mashed potato topping and adding a grated cheese top layer for that perfect finish.
Cottage Pie at your Fingertips
Once you have given this cottage pie recipe a try, you will find yourself making it over and over again! This recipe is perfect, whether you live on your own, and struggle to find inspiration to make dinner for one (as well as make a huge pile of dishes just for one). Or if you have a full house with many hungry mouths. Because naturally, we all have that one evening a week when you just don’t feel like cooking. All it takes is a few minutes in the microwave to it warm up to eating perfection.
- 5 ml Oil
- 1 kg Beef Mince Lean
- 1 Onion Diced
- 1 tsp Garlic Crushed
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- Oil For cooking
- 15 ml Tomato Sauce
- 5 ml Worcestershire Sauce
- 5 ml Chutney
- 5 ml Mixed Herbs
- 50 ml Water
For the Topping
- 4 cups Potatoes Cooked and mashed
- 2 cup Cheddar Cheese Grated
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and fry until glassy. Add the mince meat. Brown the meat. Season well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Layer the mince on the bottom of your large dish or individual bowls. Top the mince with a layer of mash and then sprinkle the cheese. Cover with cling wrap and freeze until needed.
- Defrost and place in the microwave for 5 minutes.