Residents from MC Section in Site B, Khayelitsha, are still struggling to rebuild their homes after the fire over a week ago. SASSA has been informed to provide relief but has not yet responded.
According to Jermaine Carelse, spokesperson for City Fire and Rescue Service, several crews from different areas helped douse the fire in Buyani Crescent, Nonquebela on Saturday. No injuries were reported and the cause of the fire is yet to be determined.
Community leader Khunjulwe Vazi said some of the affected families are being housed at a local creche while others have found shelter with friends in the area.
When we visited earlier this week, residents were still searching through charred belongings and some had started rebuilding their homes.
“I just stood there watching it burn down. There was nothing I could do. I could save nothing, not even a spoon,” said Khayelitsha resident Richman Sokupa, who lost his belongings in the fire.
“This is a painful experience,” said Sokupa who now only has the clothes he had on when he left for work on Saturday. He currently sleeps at the creche with his three children and other families.
Fiskiwe Siximba said she only managed to run out of her shack with her ID book. “The wind was very strong. People were crying, some were running up and down, and others just stood there in shock,” she said.
He said since the City of Cape Town no longer supplied emergency fire kits, they have been approaching local businesses, NGOs and residents for donations. Siximba said fire victims mostly need clothes, food, blankets and building materials.
Disaster Risk Management spokesperson Charlotte Powell said SASSA has been informed to provide humanitarian relief to the affected residents. SASSA did not respond to questions by the time of publication.