Weather Services have indicated in the latest weather update that a weak cold front is expected to make landfall in parts of South Africa today.
According to Vox Weather, the cold front is expected to make landfall from Thursday afternoon in parts of the Western Cape.
The weak cold front will bring along light rainfall that will continue into Friday. Light rain is expected along the western coast and into the eastern cape
This comes after disruptive and heavy snowfalls in parts of the country earlier this week.
Meanwhile, other parts of the country are expected to experience a warm and sunny weather on Thursday.
The South African Weather Service (SAWS) issued a warning for veld fires for Thursday and Friday.
The following areas will be affected by the veld fire warning:
- Dawid Kruiper- Twee Rivieren/ Twee Rivieren
- Dawid Kruiper- Upington/ Upington
- Joe Morolong/ Hotazel
- Mangaung – Naledi/ Vryburg
- Lekwa- Teemane/ Bloemhof
- Tsantsabane/ Postmasburg
- Greater Taung/ Taung
- Tswelopele/ Tikwana/Hoopstad
- Kai !Garib/Augrabies Falls
- !Kheis/ Groblershoop
- Tokologo/ Dealesville
- Siyathemba/ Prieska
- Hatam/ Calvinia
- Kareeberg/ VanWyksvlei
- Kopanong/ Fauresmith
- Mohokare/ Aliwal North
- Ubuntu/ Victoria West
- Karoo Hoogland/ Sutherland
- Beaufort West
- Kannaland/ Ladysmith
- Dr Beyers Naude- Baviaans/ Willowmore
- Dr Beyers Naude- Graaff- Reinet/ Graaf Reinet
Here’s what you should do when veld fire approaches your property:
- Decide whether it is safer to stay or leave the scene.
- Wear protective clothing and footwear.
- Have emergency food and medical supplies ready.
- Move livestock to safer areas.
- Listen to the radio for news updates.
- Wet the garden and house, especially on the side of the approaching fire.
- Plug gutters and fill them with water.
- Fill baths, buckets and dust bins with water in case the water supply fails and have mops handy.
- Seal any gaps between the doors and floor using wet towels or similar items.
- Close all windows and doors.
- If you decide to stay, go indoors and remain there until the fire has passed.
- Take fire hoses and other firefighting equipment with you.
“Conditions are such that the Fire Danger Index (FDI) is above 75. Under these conditions, fires may develop and spread rapidly, resulting in damage to property and possible loss of human and/or animal life,” said SAWS.
Source: The South African, I Love South Africa, Flipboard, image from Twitter: Vox Weather